March 12, 2020
Recently, Bishop Soto has released measures to be taken due to the Corona Virus (COVID-19). This includes cancellation of diocesan events and restrictions on parish events through the month of March. This is to clarify in general what events will be restricted or cancelled at the parish and what events will continue.
- No communal Lenten Penance Services. Individual confessions will still be heard.
- No group baptisms. Individual baptisms will continue.
- Cancellation of large, non-essential indoor gatherings, such as the Parish Fish Fry, Youth Ministry Lock-In, soup dinners, and funeral receptions. Liturgical celebrations such as Mass and funerals will still occur.
- Assemblies in parochial schools and religious education programs are suspended, including “School Masses,” and the school will not participate in our regular daily Masses.
- Removal of holy water from the fonts by church doors and large baptismal fonts.
Additionally, Bishop Soto grants dispensation to the Catholic Faithful sixty years and older and those suffering vulnerable health conditions from the obligation to attend Mass on Sunday.
We will continue with Masses, Stations of the Cross, individual confessions, Taize Prayer/Lectio Divina, and Adoration. We will continue with already implemented measures at the Mass:
- Distribution of the chalice is suspended until further notice.
- Exchange of the sign of peace is suspended.
- Reception of communion in the hand is encouraged.
- Ministers serving at the altar should wash hands and use hand sanitizer.
You are welcome to visit the diocesan website for any pertinent information on the COVID-19 at www.scd.org/coronavirus.
Reverend Eduino Silveira, Pastor